If you never wasted AC when you’re out of the house or sleeping, then you’d save the most money on your electric bill. There’s just one problem; you have to physically be present to monitor your temperature settings. A programmable thermostat eliminates this problem and allows you to enjoy the maximum savings on your energy bill without turning into the air conditioning police.
Difference between Programmable and Traditional Thermostats
A thermostat is like the brain of your HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system. Traditional thermostats had to be dialed to a set temperature. Whenever you wanted to change the setting, you had to reset it in person. However, you can now program a modern thermostat to pay attention to the time of day and automatically adjust the settings without you having to be there. Basically, you issue the instructions, and the thermostat does the work every day.
Heating and Cooling on Autopilot: Get Rid of Manual Temperature Adjustment
You don’t need a degree in computer programming to use a modern thermostat. Instead, you can simply tell it the four times of day when you can save the most money on your energy bill:
- In the Morning upon Waking
- Upon Leaving Home
- Upon Returning Home
- At Night before Going to Bed
When you think about it, you probably already adjust the temperature at these times anyway. It’s not that hard to take note of the time of day when you do. Also, your HVAC technician can program the thermostat for you when it’s installed.
Tips for Saving the Most with Programmed Thermostats
The two times of day when you can save the most money are when you sleep at night and when you leave the house during the day. There are usually between 12 to 16 hours you can cut back on your AC usage. Use the following tips to get the most from a modern thermostat:
- Lower your electric bill by setting sleeping and out-of-the-house times for the longest durations.
- To adjust settings on the fly, use the temporary override feature. It will automatically re-adjust the temperature at the next scheduled time. Ignore any features for permanently overriding the programming. It won’t revert until you reset it.
- If the house is hot, you can’t cool it faster by setting an extremely low temperature. Set a reasonable temperature; lower temperatures only delay the time before shutting off the AC.
All Temp in Quail Hollow NC
For 30 years, All Temp Co. has been serving greater Charlotte, Quail Hollow NC, and surrounding regions. We’re a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer, one of the highest distinctions in the industry. If you’d like to inquire about professionally installing a thermostat that can be programmed, then give us a call today.